Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sore, but optimistic

I am a bit sore, but not too bad. My sessions with the trainer are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On other days I do cardio on my own and some routines at home. I have had 2 sessions so far. Friday was a great get to know each other session with her assessing my limited abilities through some stretching and balance routines. I never thought about how hard it is to stand on one foot.

Yesterday was more sweaty with resistance training on the various machines interdespersed with different heart pumping things. 10 reps with light weights, then 20 jumping jacks, a short lap around the gym, then repeat. Each machine was paired with a different in between up tempo routine. All of those which I could do on my own at home with no equipment.

A trainer is a wonderful thing. She does all the stuff with the machines and keeps track of what I can do. She's with me for every minute of the session, making sure my posture and such are correct for the exercise. If I'm struggling, she immediately stops me and switches to something I can handle. I get to the gym before our session to do 15 minutes on the treadmill as a warm up then an hour with her. I can honestly say it was not bad at all.

As training aids, she suggested I get a heart rate monitor and a foam roll. Using the latter really helps with the sore muscles. I also have to write down everything I eat and drink in a log. I've got to do this for 2 weeks, then meet with the nutritionist. Just writing it down makes me conscious of what goes into my mouth. This is a 3 dinner dates at restaurants week and I am trying to moderate what I select, but I'm not going crazy and cutting everything out since I would never be able to stick to that in the long run. I figure going from exercising maybe once a week to at least 6 times a week is going to do wonders for my overall health with a side benefit of dropping some weight.

The first segment on TV will be this Friday, 23 Jan during the channel 6 morning show from 6 am to 9 am. I've got to be there before 6 am, allegedly bright eyed and bushy tailed. I've already met 2 of the news anchors, Marc Bailey and Lynda Martin. They are also participating in the Get Fit program and have their sessions right after mine.

1 comment:

Shrinky Inky said...

cool Tania!! I can't wait to see how this works for you.

I log all my food still, and use sparkpeople.com - and you can print out the reports to take to your nutritionist. It's free and and has a good database, plus you can add your own foods/nutrition values.

good luck!!