Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy 2009

Between Ravelry, Flickr, Facebook and Twitter, it's easy to overlook this original blog. My life is just not that interesting to warrant all the documentation, so I lag.

My knitting life is on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/people/taniasews where I have my projects, stash, library and such up to date. That in itself is a remarkable achievement. I belong to 31 groups, have 61 friends, 142 projects, 196 books and 206 stashed yarns. In 2008, I completed 91 knitting or crochet projects. Of those, there were 19 pairs of adult socks. I also stopped lying to myself.. I don't just hang out at the yarn shop a lot, I work there. Very part time, maybe 10 to 12 hours a month, but it's enough to pay for my ever increasing yarn habit.

I have 4643 pix up on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/taniasews/ and most are public albums. Right around Thanksgiving, my photos of Rota, Spain taken from 1978 to 1980 came to the attention of some locals. By request, I went through our old slides and uploaded some more, but still have a bunch to go. The experience sure brought home how much more connected we can be via the internet.

Thanksgiving itself was weird. Not bad. Just strange. Our youngest moved out at the beginning of the month and as a vegan was planning a special meal with her boyfriend at his parents' home. She'd stop by for drinks after dinner. Now, tell me THAT'S not strange, meeting your baby for drinks..... Our oldest was at the in-laws in Ohio. So Bob and I decided to go to a restaurant for our meal. It was a wonderful buffet, but we had no leftovers and yummy smells that so make it Thanksgiving in our mind. Never again. We started out as a dynamic duo and make up our own family unit, so it's home from now on.

Because of that and having the kids for Christmas, we went all out. What's the point of having linen, china, crystal and all that stuff if you don't break it out for your favorite people? There were all kinds of presents, along with this special one. Erika got a gazillion buttons and painstakingly made this wreath. So much better than the felted poinsettia one I started and abandoned. I just feel the love with every button she placed, painted and glued down for me. Bob also got me this, a date to see Bette Midler in Vegas some time in 2009. I had made him pinky swear not to go overboard with our gifts since we've been splurging on ourselves quite a bit, but the man is a fool for Christmas.







Speaking of our favorite place, we went to Vegas in December. We like to go during the Rodeo because of all the good music, free concerts and really polite cowboys. We stayed downtown which was the launching point for the Santa Run. We didn't participate, but caught up with these guys on our way out of town.

Other 2008 highlights include the remarkable success of my Fan Neckwarmer pattern. So far, it has been marked a favorite on Ravelry by 458 people worldwide. I've been playing around with other designs and have written them down, but haven't put any more out there. I made myself a sweater from scratch which I love, but am intimated by the thought of trying to figure out the sizing for any body other than mine.

Our nest is empty. When DD2 left us, she ended up making the place more empty by taking a couch that I obviously liked in the showroom but didn't once I got it in the family room. A few weeks later, she got the old TV. Just the excuse we needed to spruce up the place in 2009. Buying stuff is way easier and more fun than what really needs to happen, like totally painting and recarpeting/flooring the entire house. Did I mention we have floor to ceiling and built in bookcases in every single room except the bathrooms? The new TV is our first flat screen with HD. Note, it's in my knitting room, the smallest room in the house. 40" with a couch about 6 feet away is like being in a theater. I made Bob pick out the replacement couch and he did good. It's quite classy for the garage converted family room, but it's yummy leather with a smell to die for.
Yep, we are living the good life. Hope your 2009 goes well.

No comments: