Friday, May 30, 2008

Hats and such

Lest you think it's only about socks, I've been working on headgear too.


I received a skein of Alpaca Sox yarn as a gift. It's 60% alpaca, 20% wool and 20% nylon and absolutely yummy. Luxurious for socks? Absolutely. But I feared it would not stand up to the wear and tear of shoes, walking and other indignities. I made the Webs Tam from the Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2007 issue. Heather has been looking for a floppy tam that goes so well with her funky style. It had some serious knitting manuevers with make 1 purls throughout. I struggled with finding a way to purl through the back loop smoothly. The design is on a reverse stockinette background and with my combined style of purling and working in the round, I ended up purling conventionally for a lot of the lace work. But it sure is pretty....



After it was done, I blocked it using a large 12" dinner plate. I only used 48 grams of the 100 gram skein, so maybe will make another one for the other daughter...








I got a request from DD's boyfriend's mom for a baby boy beanie to be worn in Tahoe. DD, ever fond of cables, selected this pattern. I used Baby Soft, an acrylic sport weight and made the 6 month size. It's plenty stretchy and I made the roll up brim a bit long, so it should last for a few months.


And just for fun, I made a couple of Curly Cute necklaces. Use left over sock yarn and some beads and you come up with a really nice accessory. The gray one was my first and I think the beads overpower the yarn. The maroons one came out more to my liking. These work up quickly, but were hard on my hands, so I'm resisting making a gazillion of them for now.

2 comments:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Love that tam: and your jewellery experiments inspire me to do likewise!

Knitman said...

Love the hat on the bust. Good job.