Saturday, November 10, 2007

I steeked it!

With my heart pounding, I cut my sweater in class yesterday. My instructor was hovering and about 15 members of the class surrounded me, watching and giving encouragement. It worked! and there was no fraying of the edges. I felt like a rock star with everyone ooh and aahing over the results. Although I had brought my camera to class, I was so caught up in the moment, I forgot to ask someone to take pictures. I picked up the stitches for the button and neck band and should finish that tonight. The buttons from my stash I thought would work are not quite right, so I'll go out tomorrow to get some. I'll be doing the afterthought button hole.




I did get some pix of the sewing process in preparation to the actual cut. Being careful to catch the legs of the stitch is absolutely essential. It didn't take long, but was tedious. I stitched 2 rows on either side of the cut line. It was hard to resist the temptation to do 3 or 4 rows, but I was warned that could make it stiff.


With all the counting of things to upload to Ravelry, here is my needle inventory. Let's see, 75 circulars, 11 Flex, 9 Options tips and assorted cables. 69 sets of Double Points, 36 pairs of straights and the 2 vintage Boye sets. The yellow Boye set is the one I went into hock for back in college in the early 70s.
I was so happy last week when I went to the ISO and destashing board on Ravelry to find the 10" double pointed needles I have been looking for for several years. I got them on Thursday. These are the aluminum Boyes which are no longer made. I wanted the size 9 and 10s. These work well for hats and sleeves. I'm so comfortable with the DPNs, I often use them instead of the short circulars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings to a fellow knitter. I just wandered over to your blog from my Yahoo knitlist digest and have to say I deeply covet your knitting needle collection...Wow, very impressive!