Friday, November 30, 2007

Holiday preparations

I've only managed to finish a couple of crochet pieces and some swatches in the past few weeks. This star shaped centerpiece is from my crochet class. This larger one is for the dining room and I made a smaller one for the kitchen table. I took stock and although it seems I have been knitting and crocheting like crazy, nothing's DONE. Must be due to working on 9 things at once. But I am happy to report on this last day of November I'm mostly done with Christmas shopping, the house is decorated and cards are slated to go out this weekend. Now, if I could only put my butt in gear to work the button bands on my Mom's Christmas sweater, I'll be golden.


I have been attending my knitting and crochet classes and even taught a beginning sock class last week, so lots of fiber related fun is going on. Then there's the serious time bandit - Ravelry. I like it so much and it's getting better daily. My projects - at least those I want to share - are all up. Every bit of my stash is up, save the one basket of odds and ends I use for my homework samples. What's really addicting is all the forums.

Thanksgiving was great. It's the one big meal I am mostly responsible for. As is commonly known, I am not the family cook, so it's always nerve wracking for me to get everything in place at the same time. Bob makes the pies the day before and this year Heather make a potato and leek soup to augment the side dishes for herself and boyfriend, both vegetarians. So, to add to my frenzy, there's another cook in the kitchen. She watches every cooking show and is much more creative than I am, but when she turned off the double oven timer for her potatoes, little did we notice, she turned both ovens off. An hour later as I was wondering why the turkey was not browning on schedule, there was panic and I admit, tears. But it really wasn't a big deal with just the girls and their other halves in attendance. We plied them with drink. Bob joked about it being the revenge of the militant vegetarians.






Then I'm preparing the sweet potato side dish and our old faithful mixer dies in dramatic fashion. The beaters seemed to wrap around one another and seized up. I about killed my little hand mixer too to get that in the oven too. But it really was great because these are the tales that make the holidays special. The girls were quite happy the mixer was dead. Somehow the then stylish color of dirty yellow offended their sense of style and I always kept it covered so as not to hear them complain about it.


We celebrated on Wednesday, since Erika and husband were flying out on Thanksgiving day for a weekend wedding of a special friend in Pennsylvania. We armed them with turkey leftovers which they enjoyed in their hotel Thanksgiving evening with drinks from a convenience store, the only thing opened when they arrived.


On Thanksgiving Day, I relaxed and watched the Macy's Parade with my feet up instead of flurrying around preparing my meat stuffing. Forget Cyber Monday, I shopped online until my credit card cried, "Uncle!" The best thing is most of the stuff was on my doorstep by Monday. The new White Kitchen Aid mixer took a few days longer, but is now in its appointed place on the counter, uncovered.

2 comments:

Bobbisox said...

There were some awesome colors of Kitchenaides at the Exchange the day after Thanksgiving. I was browsing them but still withstood their gorgeous colors as I have very little counter space. I got this I-Mac instead and another Aerogarden. I have a great recipe for the cheesy potatocakes from the Claim Jumper if Heather would like them. I don't know if she eats cheese.

Tania said...

I saw those colors at the Exchange, but the white fit my kitchen better. Also, Amazon had it a lot cheaper than the base for its Black Friday sale.

Heather is entirely too fussy about what she eats for me to say if she would like the recipe. She does eat dairy and eggs [whites] but is trying to go vegan all the way.