Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Much calmer now

Once I removed the back seats from the car and loaded up my photo albums, which number more like 30 binders, I felt ever so much better. Of all my possessions, including the yarn and computers, these were my first priority. (I took this photo after I unloaded the car and had already put away about 6 binders.)

Then I actually packed a suitcase for a week with jeans, sweats, t-shirts and toiletries. With room to spare, I went to my cache of handknit socks and put my favorites in the outside pockets. I totally dismantled my computer station into its components. My brand new flat screen monitor was carefully placed in an XL Ziplock shopping bag with a layer of sock yarns to protect the screen. I'm typing on my old laptop. We've got everything ready to take out to the car. If we get the call to leave, it'll just take 15 minutes to toss it all in the cars. I have more of the XL baggies in case there's room. Then it's more sock yarn to make me happy. You know I packed up all my needles.

The 'good' news is that tankers and helicopters are able to fly and drop copious amounts of water. The Sweetwater reservoir is about 1/4 mile away from the burning Mount San Miguel and it seems to have stopped the spread towards us in Bonita. I think I'll take a nap.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Please keep them coming.

4 comments:

Terry & Jonesy said...

We've been watching CNN news down here in Mexico about the fires - and worrying about all of our friends and family! Take Care!! Remember to pack a week's worth of knitting as the LYS may be closed too.

LunaZ CreationZ said...

Last night at one am the news said for bonita to evacuate and just for piece of mind we went to Peter's office for the night. We are back home now and everything is much calmer than yesturday. Talk to you soon.

Ludmilla said...

Oh, Tania. My heart goes out to you. We're sending peaceful thoughts and good intentions to you (and everyone in the county).

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Tania, holding you close in our hearts and keeping constant watch.