Monday, October 22, 2007

California on fire

First things first.... we're fine and don't expect to be evacuated. The fire closest to us, the Harris fire, is about 20 miles east of us. It's making it smokey outside, but so far no homes have been threatened. There are several huge housing areas in Eastlake much closer to it than we are and none there have even been given a 'get ready to go' notice.

That said, I'm still a bit nervous. I've lived in the San Diego area since 1989 and this is only the second time the fires have been this bad. The last time, in October 2003, we were also quite safe, but we made lists of what we'd take if we had to go. Bob and I have always been photo fanatics, so I made sure all 20+ volumes of our photo albums were in the same place, as the 20 or so slide storage units.

We've all been told to stay indoors and off the roads due to air quality and the need for emergency personnel to have easy access. Also, we've been asked to stay off cell phones, as that's how the professionals on the front lines are communicating. The news literally asked all parents to confiscate their kids' cell phones.

Me? I've been knitting, crocheting and cleaning. I clean when I feel a need to be in control of SOMETHING, so I'll be tackling this old house, grateful I have one.

1 comment:

Inky said...

hey Tania, i am so glad to hear you are safe and sound. I hope my beautiful San Diego will be better soon, and that the results are not as bad as the Oct 2003 fires. Stay safe!!