Saturday, August 11, 2007

Tiny knitting

I've gotten distracted by going small. The LYS is also contributing items to local NICUs, so I started playing around with miniaturizing some patterns. It's addictive and appeals to my thrifty nature since I'm using leftover sock yarns.


I had already totally rewritten the Ugg Bootie pattern worked in the round and smaller sized than the original version worked flat. I was making yet another pair for my DD since all her pregnant friends want a pair. Word has gotten out to her church group. For the preemies, I knitted the pattern up 2 more times, each time playing with stitch counts and other modifications until I was happy with the results. The originals are done up in Berroco Suede and the smaller ones in Lane Cervinia sport weight acrylic yarn. Unless I switch to similar colored sock yarn, this is the smallest I can go.



We are trying to make up at least hat and sock/bootie sets and these are some other experiment results. There's a size disconnect between the pink hat and really tiny pink booties, so I'm making another pinwheel hat with 10 less stitches for that set. Then I have to figure out how to upsize the booties a little bit.







Lakia at the shop who has personal experience with preemies has classified the sizes as Lime, Lemon and Orange since the head sizes of the early babies are similar to the fruits named. The need is for the smaller sizes, but no matter how the experiments turn out, all sizes are welcomed.




I've also finished up a couple of items for the Susan G Komen fall fundraiser. My personal workshops start up again at the end of the month, so I'm trying to do as much as I can before I get bogged down with 'homework.' In knitting class, we are going to do an EZ sweater based on her percentage system using her workshop book. The yoke will have colorwork.




The shawl used the Moda Dea yarn we got in our Stitch and Pitch gift bag and the last adult pinwheel cap is in TOFUtsies yarn.

3 comments:

Bonnie D. said...

Those UGG booties are adorable! Can you tell me where you found the pattern?

Tania said...

The concept for the Ugg bootie is on the DIY website. I personally rewrote the pattern to knit in the round with smaller sizes.

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Gosh, thanks, Tania! Fell in love with the Ugg and was just about to ask the same question. Would you believe I'd never heard of the DIY website? What are we DOING here in Ireland?

Off to make some tiny Uggs...