Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Upcoming Knitting Events in San Diego

It's been an interesting few days. First, The Bonita Knitting Store, http://www.bonitaknitting.com/ my home away from home, has announced a couple of events affecting me. The San Diego County Fair is coming up and Susan has set a goal for the shop and its customers of submitting at least 20 items. As soon as she gets the decision whether I can enter as a regular person [the way I would if I submitted items via the Foothills Knitting Workshop] or as a 'professional' since I teach once a month at the shop, then I'll decide which items to submit. Right now I'm thinking of the Braids cardigan I completed last November and a gansey I made a few years ago. Although I used the percentage formula in creating the gansey and got the motifs from stitch dictionaries, I believe I can enter it in the original pattern category. Then, as the alleged sock diva, a pair of socks. I'm working on some toe ups in the Yarntini I got back in January using a ribbing from Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks. If I had the time, I'd love to do the knee high socks featured in this month's Knitty. http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/PATTclessidra.html I have 4 skeins of maroon Knitpicks Essentials that would be perfect. The submission paperwork is due 2 May and the actual projects on the 20th.



The second event is the Stitch n' Pitch, a TNNA sponsored baseball game at Petco Park on Sunday, the 22nd of July. http://www.stitchnpitch.com/default.asp This year we have the cooperation of the Padres front office and more LYS's participating. I hope more than the few hundred who showed up last year make it this year. Seattle had 2,500 attendees and it would be great to have at least 1000.



While hanging out at the store this Sunday, an international visitor breezed in. Jo from Ireland found it via the internet and we had a blast. Since she's a journalist, her telling of the encounter is much better than mine would be. http://celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com/2007/03/spinning-in-balboa-park-knitting-in.html



Meanwhile, I haven't been a slouch. I finished the Pinwheel sweater on the 16th. Not bad for having started it on the 3rd. The thing is huge and wonderfully comfortable. I can wear the collar up as a hood and in other variations. The back edge is knee length. I plan to use it with one of the pretty shawl pins I just bought because they will give me more flexibility than buttons. When it's cool enough to wear, I'll post pix of a human modeling it.

I also finished the pair of socks in Panda Wool. I worked these toe up because I was concerned about having enough yarn. Each 50 gr skein has 170 yards. I used size 1 needles and could have gone smaller. I did a lace rib from Schurch thinking if I ran out, it would cute as an anklet, but there was plenty.

No comments: