Thursday, March 01, 2007

Gift layette done!




My daughter's sister in law is expecting her 1st child in April. It's the first grandchild for the family and I wanted to knit something. I let my DD and her husband go through my patterns to pick something out. My intention had been for a sweater and booties, but they fell in love with the entire ensemble including the blanket. Since the mother to be does not want to know the baby's gender, they picked an ivory color. I selected TLC Cotton Plus and 50/50 mix of cotton and acrylic that's machine washable. I would never give a handwash item to a new mother.




The TLC is a light worsted weight and the pattern I had called for DK. I made the smallest size, but it turned out 6 month size. The blanket had to reworked because it was supposed to be 19 x 24, ridiculously small. I added a pattern repeat and filler motifs to get the more standard size of 30 x 36". I knit up the blanket in a much looser gauge than the garments to make it more cuddly.



Although my DD can knit, she's so busy with her job, hubby and church, I knit 'for' her. It seems all her friends are expecting, so I have fun making a little something to include in the gifts she buys them. For the above expected baby, they got them a stroller too.


It took almost 8 skeins of the TLC for the entire set. I liked working with this yarn so much, I went ahead and ordered 24 more skeins of it to have on hand. I got 12 each of pink and blue so I could whip up something gender specific on short notice.



No comments: