Sunday, January 14, 2007

Busy in a good way

I leave for my knitting cruise in the morning. Am packed except for some morning toiletries. I did manage to finish my two pairs of black socks although I redid the toe on the second sock of the second pair three times.

I'm riding shotgun with Susan, the owner of the Bonita Knitting Store, up to Long Beach. I bought some bamboo sock needles just to be sure I'd be able to have a project handy that could go in my carry on. For some reason, the only restriction was metal needles. I'll be working on a pair for my husband out of Austermann Step #12, Earth. I just can't tell you how excited I am he has condescended to wanting a pair that has stripes!

There will so many knitting goodies and classes aboard the ship, I will barely have time to explore. Sleep will have to wait until I get back next Friday. We prepaid for everything, so every class will include all materials and yummy new to me yarns.

The knitting celebrity is Deb Stoller of Stitch and Bitch fame. We start off with a book signing and cocktail party. She will be teaching classes on Wed and Thu. Crochet for Knitters, Workshop in Sweater Design and Color Tips and Tricks. The staff of the Bonita Knitting Store will be doing a Luxe cable scarf with silk yarn, an evening bag with beaded yarn and a class on finishing. Other actitivities are a Bitchin' Pajama Party and a Yarn Tasting event. AND these are just the knitting related events. We are also spending one day in Catalina and one in Ensenada. Whew! All this in 4 days.

As if that were not enough to get me into creative overload, I got to go to TNNA here in San Diego because I teach at the yarn store and sometimes man the store. I limited myself to 2 classes since somewhere in all of this fun I had to get ready, do laundry and otherwise prepare to leave my loving honey on his own. Since we retired over 10 years ago, I've gotten so used to having him underfoot that I'm already missing him.

At TNNA I took Adventures in Lace Knitting, a 6 hour session from Myrna Stahman. I was disappointed with this one. 3 hours would have been plenty and I could have done without the student intros which took over an hour! As a former educator who taught folks to teach adults, I just did not think it was the best use of all of our time. The class this morning in Cable Variations by Melissa Leapman was OUTSTANDING!! She should have had the 6 hour block. New tricks and new skills with fingers flying as we did swatch after practice swatch.

I walked the floor with all the upcoming products and was delighted to learn Addi is now selling lace needles. Their circulars with wickedly pointy tips. Life is good.

On a kinda weird note, a few weeks ago I did a swatch on Southwest Trading Company TOFUtsie yarn. I really did not like it for a variety of reasons which I wrote down in a critique I provided to the store. When someone on the Socknitters Yahoo group asked about it, I repeated my negative personal opinion. This was countered by at least 4 very positive experiences. Hey... it was my opinion. At TNNA the rep from the company sent me a full 100 gram skein with a request to give it one more try. hmmm.... how did they track me down?

No comments: