Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Icarus is done!

Done, and I love it. The pattern from Interweave Knits summer 06 issue was easy to follow and the lace repeats were only 12 stitches wide, so mistakes were quick to spot and correct. Now just to figure where to wear it.

Of course, every project comes with dramas and traumas. Back when I started it last month, I decided my Knit Picks Options needles were the best for lace. The smallest I had were size 4. Even though the pattern called for size 3 and I knit loosely often going down at least one needle size, I used the 4. The pattern said one 100 gram skein of 875 yard lace weight yarn was used with 10 grams left over. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

As you can see from the 1st photo, I was 4 rows from the end and knew I'd have to break into my 2nd skein of 875 yards. I was up to over 500 stitches per row, so there was no way. I wound the skein up I had hoped to return to the yarn shop for another color. When it was all said and done, I used 8 grams of second 100 gram skein. Does anyone have a lace pattern calling for 805 yards of yarn?

I made use of my new lace blocking wires for the top ridge and T pins for each point. I feel like such a professional.

Next on my lace quest is an all over lace pattern.

No comments: