Thursday, August 10, 2006

Phone Sock

We went to Laughlin for a few days. Had a good time even though I did not win any cruise money. We saw a great Elvis impersonator and I caught a little Teddy Bear when he was singing "Won't You Be My Teddy Bear?" I'm such a wild woman...

Enroute home, we caught a minor league baseball game. We had hoped to see the Padres farm team at Lake Elsinore, but they were on the road at Rancho Cucamonga. We were obnoxious with our Padres gear, rooting at all the wrong times. Ryan Klesko started rehab last Monday and was playing with the team. Looked good. All this is in preparation for the Stitch and Pitch event on Saturday, 2 September where us San Diegans will bring our knitting and other needlework and watch the game at Petco Park downtown.

While at the ballpark last night, I saw a woman with a crocheted cell phone holder hanging off her bag. I think it was made of Peaches and Cream cotton. I just got a new cell phone a couple of weeks ago and it has a camera. I've been worrying about the lens getting messed up while in my bag, so seeing someone else with a similar idea, I made myself a phone sock this morning.

I started it as if I were doing a toe up sock, bound off some stitches for the window, worked back and forth for about 3/4 of an inch, cast on the same number of stitches I had cast off. Continued in the round for about an inch, decreased some stitches, then did a 2x2 ribbbing for 1 1/4 inches. I kept putting the phone in while I worked to get it to fit. What a wonderful use of leftover sock yarn. This is a Fortissima cotton/wool blend and size 0 needles. I only used about 5 grams of yarn.

I'm really pleased with it, although I could only get my DH to grunt when I showed it to him.

5 comments:

trek said...

I think it is cute.

Susan said...

What a great idea! People will be bugging you for details. Thanks for sharing.

Breien in Lansingerland said...

It is a wonderful idea. I might create a cover for my phone as well... that one is suffering from all the rain we have here at the moment

Diane said...

I think your phone sock came out great. Let your hubby grunt all he wants; probably just jealous because he can't make one for himself.

Terry & Jonesy said...

LOVE IT! Another use for leftover sock yarn - we should write a book with all of these great ideas! How about it?