Saturday, July 01, 2006

Hot and listless


Where I live near San Diego is usually cool and breezy. Homes do not have air conditioning. So, on the occasions when we record setting temps 23 degrees above the normal 73 average, we are sweatily grumpy! I took refuge one afternoon at the Bonita Knitting Store with its cool AC and couches.

On the knitting front, I finished the Opal 'owl' socks and started some with Magic Stripes using a chevron design. The yarn is a bit thicker, but I intend for these to go to someone who lives with snow. I like my sock legs long and the intended recipient has a large foot, so I bought 3 skeins of the Magic Stripes so I could get 2 pairs. The second will probably end up being a gift too. We'll see.

Started a cardigan, then took the pluge and just started a Faroese shawl. Casting on 431 was an adventure. Right now I'm getting the knack of working with lace weight yarn and size 8 needles with garter stitch. The only lace motif is 38 rows, so I hope to muddle through. I know black is harder to work with, but I really want a black shawl, so I figured I would just go with the gusto.

Meanwhile, I've signed up for the lace classes at the Bonita Knitting Store...

3 comments:

Gelsomina (Jill) Lucchesi said...

Hi Tania, nice meeting you at the knitting meetup on Wednesday! How long does it take to make one pair of socks? I can't see myself having the patience to do it.

Tania said...

The answer is of course, "It depends." Plain socks with a pattern I'm familiar with AND working on nothing else can be done in 3 days. Working steadily, I usually give myself a week for most socks if I have a deadline. Working in between other projects and with more than one pair going at any given time. I've just completed my 11th pair this year.

Socks, even plain ones, are not boring to me as they have distinct parts and each part does not take very long.

email me with your email addy and we can stay in touch.

Minnesota Mazzio's said...

Hi there. I love your blog. BTW the key to black lace is... Markers. They will save you. I have made that shawl, so put the markers between the pattern stiches and you will know if you get off.

Cant wait to read more
Casey