Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Knitting on the bus



Yesterday, The Man and I went on a bus tour up to Pasedena to see the floats of the Tournament of Roses Parade. That's me in the striped shirt looking back at him. Between us we took over 360 photos. We had never done this before and it was unbelievable. If any of you can make the trip to see the floats it's well worth it. We got to see all 48 of them up close. Way better than on TV. By the time we left at 1 pm, there were many more people, but even so, rather orderly and you could linger as long as you like by each float. Bring walking shoes and extra camera batteries. Extra camera card if you have one, too. Even with the rain on the parade, the floats were in remarkable condition.

I knitted on the way up and back. I had 5 skeins Cascade 220 Tweed purchased on sale and figured I'd experiment with a vest. But as I snuggle around the house with my wool shawls, the charcoal gray yarn with beige flecks demanded to be transformed into a shawl that would get a whole lot more use than a vest, no matter how cute. I favor triangle shaped shawls, but did not start with a point to dangle below my butt. I cast on 40 stitches to blunt the tip. Just a plain ol' 2x2 moss stitch with a garter stitch border. Reversible and solid to keep me toasty in my converted garage family room which is uninsulated and unheated. Reminds me of my days living in Spain.

I got a Knitpicks order and wound the skeins into balls this morning. Some Dancing and Essential sock yarns, some Merino dye your own, and 5 skeins of the lace weight alpaca in pale pink. I was going to make my 1st lace weight shawl in black, but workshop instructor suggested a lighter color. Then I got to thinking about the upcoming wedding. If it works out well, it may end up as the focal point of the mother of the bride outfit. Will be ready for class on Friday with a swatch.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I knew San Diego wasn't as warm as people are always telling me! (I'm moving there in June.) When I was at Balboa in Sept, I was cold every night. And now people think I'm crazy my alpaca sweater. Glad to hear you get to use your wool shawls.

Tania said...

Theresa: The county of San Diego is the size of the state of Connecticut. Temperatures vary a lot. My old house gets really cold. We go out to warm up. I'm saving on the heating bill by wearing my shawls instead of turning on the furnace.