Sunday, January 08, 2006

I declare the sock monster done


I finished the 10th heel last night and decided it was done. It was getting too hard to try the thing on. I put in one row of pink at the end to note which end to stick my foot for the toe up variations.

I started out on 64 stitches using undyed Knitpicks Dye Your Own merino in fingering weight. 10 rows of 1x1 ribbing, then an inch of st st before doing the 1st heel. After the heel, another inch of st st, 3 rows of garter, then 1 inch st st..... and so on. After last heel and st st, I did another 10 rows of ribbing and bound off with Elizabeth Zimmermann's sewn bind off, as I find it the stretchiest.

It started as a workshop project then I added in other heels I had instructions for. 9 out of 10 are workable. I still have to play around with the last one, the Strong heel from Knitter's Fall 2003. I thought it would be too big right from the start since you increase from 16 to 30 stitches on each side of the heel, then decrease back down to 16. I was thinking of trying again with the proportions I use on a regular heel flap [an additional 9 stitches on each half of the heel, then back down]

The heels I included are from the top:
Round heel
Dutch or Band heel
Toe-up heel flap [Schurch]
You're Putting Me On toe-up heel flap by Judy Gibson
Short row heel with double wraps [Schurch/Wendy Johnson]
Half Handkerchief
Garter Stitch Short Row [Neatby]
Priscilla Gibson Roberts Short row heel
Shaped Common Heel
Strong Heel as mentioned above

6 comments:

Laura said...

So what's the verdict? Which do you prefer as far as looks, feel, or ease of knitting up?

kimberly said...

Oh my, I had no idea how many different heels there are?? Where did you get all the patterns, your class?
I would also like to know the verdict?
That's kind of creepy, it could pass for some funky artsy fartsy thing. ;)

Tania said...

Nancy Bush's Book, Folk Socks has a chapter on different heels. The shaped common, round, dutch and half-handkerchief are from there. Charlene Schurch's, Sensational Knitted Socks contributed the short row I called double wrap and a toe up heel flap variation. The other toe up heel flap is available online by Judy Gibson. Priscilla Gibson Roberts' Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy is the source for the other short row heel. Lucy Neatby put her garter stitch heel online. It's from her Cool Socks, Warm Feet book. The Strong heel is from Knitter's magazine, Fall 03.

There are more to try. I started Monster's little brother by redoing the Strong heel with less increases and better success.

Me said...

Awesome Blog - I love your long sock :o) Thanks for the fun visit.

Shelley
Country Variety Yarn Shop
It's All About Opal
http://www.countryvariety.com

Megann said...

You have certainly inspired me to try out new heels! I love you all your socks.

mf said...

So will this monster really get worn???
Where did you ever get this pattern?
and the botties are adorable too! I must've missed that conversation

Michelle
Socknitters list