Saturday, October 15, 2005

Home at last

After 16 days on the road, traveling over 4800 miles, these are my primary souvenirs. The black cardigan, done on the way east is ready for seaming at shoulders and sides so I can pick up the stitches for the sleeves to be worked down to the wrist in the round. This is in Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. I keep track of rows with snippets of yarn. The interest in this plain black sweater will be in the bands done with a facing, the bound buttonholes and the double knitted middy collar. Those are next after the sleeves. Charlie, my workshop instructor will be holding my hand as I learn how to do the buttonholes. I got some really cute buttons in Kansas City, Missouri to remind me of my trip.

The red Cotton Ease cardigan is my favorite, the Sitcom Chic. I did the sleeves full length and made the body of the sweater a bit longer too. I've just attached the sleeves, but will put it aside to work on the socks I promised to make in support of the Army squad our workshop adopted for Xmas. I signed up for 2 pair by Thanksgiving and only have one sock done. Three more to go before I have fun. The red sweater is for my own holiday wearing. Got a candy cane swirl button which I'll change after the holidays.

Oh, BTW, we had a wonderful time on our road trip. We went up to Minnesota's Mall of America via the Rocky Mountains, then down to Kansas City, Denver and Santa Fe. On the way east, we went through National Parks. Westward, we sort of followed the Santa Fe trail from beginning to end. Our last day on the road was a stop in Laughlin, NV. Alas, the slots didn't come through, so we'll have to pay our own bills when they come in next month. My neighbor recently got back from a vacation and his wife won enough to pay for the whole trip. I'd hoped I'd at least win some yarn money, but it was not to be. Will have to be satisfied with great memories and hundreds of photos.

No comments: