Saturday, September 17, 2005

I'm crazy - and in love


I just got the book, The Great American Aran Afghan, a compilation of all the original articles from Knitter's magazine a few years ago. The blocks are a result of a contest, sort of like my 1st sock book, Socks, Socks, Socks. It includes instructions for 24 12" x 12" squares to make an afghan and pillows. Since my 'other' love is 6'3", rather than use 20 squares for the afghan and 4 for accent pillows, I plan to add another row of squares to make it longer. 4 feet wide and 6 feet long, plus border.... I am NOT crazy!!!

The pattern called for 20 skeins of Plymouth Encore, a 75% acrylic, 25% wool blend with 200 yards per skein. I was thinking 100% wool, but figured it was going to be a monster sized blankie and utter madness to hand wash. I lucked out at my 2 local JoAnn's. Between them, I got 22 skeins of Wool-Ease, all the same dyelot, 197 yards per skein in the off white Fisherman color.

I've done about 1 1/2 inches of one of the 5 blocks labeled 'easiest'. I added this to my Knitting Goals for this lifetime. Even though I've balled up my skeins of lace weight alpaca for a lace shawl, that project will have to slide to NEXT school year, or maybe the year after that...

I have to stop falling in love with new projects and remain 'true' to the ones I've started.

4 comments:

Hilari said...

Hi Tania!

It was nice meeting you today! Thanks again for the magazines!

spaazlicious said...

Hey Tania;

It was good to see you again...I look forward to you livening up my workday.

I dig those cabled socks and your sock monster. I think I'm going to try knitting Jessica's Falling Leaves Socks, and since I haven't done too many socks, I may scream for help in your direction. ;)

kimberly said...

"I have to stop falling in love with new projects and remain 'true' to the ones I've started."-So true, don't we all??

Knitcrazy said...

Oh Godh...
Now you are making me want to make this afghan.. Your Cable socks.. a cardi..
All this added to my other WIPS... yikes

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/