Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Knitting Styles

I'm a continental combined knitter. I only recently learned that my style even had a name. I've come to learn that the way I form my purl stitches is the 'lazy' way. I've even been told it was wrong. Excuse me.....

Wendy turned me on to Zilboorg's Knitting for Anarchists and I just got Modesitt's Confessions of a Knitting Heretic. Both discuss Combined knitting, but I got confused when Modesitt said she switches to Western when going in the round. Then I realized she was taking great pains to name the style based on the LEADING LEG of the stitch. But really, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HOLE! I form my stitches the same way all the time whether I knit back and forth or with circulars. I pick [or wrap] the knits CLOCKWISE and the purls COUNTERCLOCKWISE. So what if this leaves the stitches mounted in different directions. It's the approach to the hole [the inside of the loop] that's important. I drew the diagram above about a year ago in attempt to show someone how I approached stitches.

I've had people say I cause myself problems, but I read patterns just fine. Way back when I first used a pattern, I had no clue a K2tog or an SSK were supposed to look different. The aunt who taught me how to knit when I was a preschooler did so in Spanish and she never used a pattern. She was also incredibly fast. Now I know an SSK means to decrease slanting this way \, whereas a K2tog goes /. After all these years I would love to knit like my beloved aunt used to. She'd ask me what kind of sweater I wanted. Color, designs like cables or flowers, and she'd just do it.

Anyway, there's my style. Quick with consistent results. Often don't have to look as I knit. That's why I get so much done while I watch TV.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I really appreciated your clear explanation on Sunday, thanks! :)